Sunday, February 28, 2010

Blog 24

Yeah, so i don't like poetry really. I heard this poem in one of my classes this quarter, it's called "Invictus" by William Ernest Henly. I do really like the poem, as far as poems go. I really like the ballsy feel of it. It's sort of like the person speaking is just completely fearless and "unconquerable" and i don't know. the speaker sounds like a cool dude. I think i can relate to this poem, or would like to think i can. Here it is:

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.





I really like the dramatic tone of the poem. It adds a lot to the poem. The diction really adds to the tone. Has some really cool words. I guess if i had to write poetry i would write stuff similar to it, maybe. The poem feels kind o dark and a little depressing. I really like the length of the poem. It's the perfect length.

4 comments:

  1. I am no fan of poetry myself, but this became one of my favorites the day I heard Morgan Freeman recite it in the movie, Invictus. I think the last two last are the most powerful.
    P.S. if you scope other blogs, you'll realize that this blog wasn't our next assignment. I think it was taken off our revised & more tedious syllabus. Even though I don't like poetry, I think I would've preferred doing this over watching another sci-fi show. It would've been a nice release.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this poem is about inner-strength; even though the author is bloody and beaten, he won't give in and just keeps fighting. I ecspecially like the last two lines "I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." It shows how he has a lot of pride, but it also shows how much discipline and courage he has.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this poem is really good even though i also don't like poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. im not a big poetry fan but this one is pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete